Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » New layout sections » Airport

Post subject: Questions/suggestions/comments
 Post Posted: Thu 25.08.11 19:57 

First, I'd like to congratulate everyone involved in the Knuffingen airport project. It is truly stupendous and lives up to and beyond its name along with its sister exhibition. I haven't visited yet but hope to soon. I've been watching Gerrit's diaries since the start and have to say he looks rather tired in No. 27. Burning the midnight oil?

Incidentally, I watched him on James May's Great Train Race and thought Gerrit was cheated. I wouldn't put it past May after the stunts he gets up to on Top Gear.

The airport just seems to keep getting better and better. The night scenes are simply magical, especially with the aircraft's interior lights.

I have two questions and/or suggestions (which I'm sure have been thought about and are good reasons why they're as they are):

1. The rods which support and lift/lower the aircraft on the runway: could they not have been made of transparent plastic and so be less visible?

2. A suspended ceiling in a suitable 'cloud cover' colour, hiding the light fittings, pipework and conduits, would lend an overall 'mood' to the exhibition.

These are insignificant niggles which do not detract in the least from what has been accomplished. As for the Shuttle, I was a little surprised when I saw it but, as with Concorde, why shouldn't an airport such as Knuffingen display some wonderful but unfortunately redundant hardware?

Please keep up the wonderful work.

Derek (a British Wunderland fan-atic)

Post subject: Re: Questions/suggestions/comments
 Post Posted: Tue 30.08.11 14:46 

derekmas wrote:
… As for the Shuttle, I was a little surprised when I saw it but, as with Concorde, why shouldn't an airport such as Knuffingen display some wonderful but unfortunately redundant hardware?…

Generally good remarks Derek, but why are the Shuttle & Concorde "redundant"?

Post Posted: Wed 31.08.11 13:30 

Keotaman wrote:
Generally good remarks Derek, but why are the Shuttle & Concorde "redundant"?

They are no longer in use in scale 1:1.
MiWuLa shows locos that no longer exist, so they can also have flying objects that no longer fly in the real world.

Redundant: "4. (Chiefly British) Dismissed or laid off from work, as for being no longer needed."
Source: http://www.answers.com/topic/redundant#ixzz1WbrPwUyY

Post Posted: Mon 05.09.11 09:10 

H0 wrote:

Redundant: "4. (Chiefly British) Dismissed or laid off from work, as for being no longer needed."…

Ok, that makes sense of your remarks now. That use of redundant is not common here in the colonies :D

Post Posted: Tue 06.09.11 04:40 

Thanks, Keotaman, you saved me the effort. Still no thoughts on my questions though.

Post Posted: Thu 08.09.11 21:23 

Hi!
derekmas wrote:
1. The rods which support and lift/lower the aircraft on the runway: could they not have been made of transparent plastic and so be less visible?
Gerrit gave the answer in Gerrit's Diary (in German).

The rods must not break even in the case of an emergency stop. He says they found no plastic material that is strong enough and so they had to cling to metal rods.

Gerrit's Diary Episode 28 (German with English text):
http://www.miniatur-wunderland.de/anlag ... ragerunde/

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Board index » New layout sections » Airport