Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Offtopic » Prototype (1:1)

Post subject: Modernization of the subway in Washington?
 Post Posted: Fri 02.05.08 12:27 

Does anyone know about the modernization of the subway in Washington? I've read an article about it in the Süddeutsche Zeitung: They want to let the subway be driven by a computer and the technology is from Germany? Does anyone have more information?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri 02.05.08 20:52 
Regular

Jack,
I couldn't find any information on the Washington Metro website, so I sent these guys an email and forwarded your question. maybe I get a reply and if so, I will post it here.

Take care,
Erhard

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 19.06.08 16:40 

Thanks!! :D

Post subject: Re: Modernization of the subway in Washington?
 Post Posted: Sun 15.05.11 18:36 

Ford_Crown_Victoria wrote:
Does anyone know about the modernization of the subway in Washington? I've read an article about it in the Süddeutsche Zeitung: They want to let the subway be driven by a computer and the technology is from Germany? Does anyone have more information?

I don't know where the current technology is from, but the system was designed to run by computer back at the start in 1976. It was only switched to manual operation after the deadly crash in June 22, 2009. They are still being operated manually - there are faults in the sensor/detection circuits.
More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Metro
During normal passenger operation on revenue tracks, trains are controlled by an integrated Automatic Train Operation and Automatic Train Control system that accelerates and brakes the trains automatically without operator intervention. However, all trains are manned with train operators who open and close the doors, make station announcements, and supervise their trains.

The train doors were originally designed to be opened and closed automatically and the doors would re-open if an object blocked them, much as elevator doors do. Almost immediately after the system opened in 1976 Metro realized these features were not conducive to safe or efficient operation and they were disabled. At present the doors may be opened automatically or manually. If a door tries to close and it meets an obstruction, the operator must re-open the door.

The operator can manually operate a train when necessary.[33] Since June 2009, all Metro trains have been under manual operation

After Fatal Crash (June 22, 2009), Metro Still Wary Of Letting Computers Control Trains
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/18/AR2009081802446.html

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Offtopic » Prototype (1:1)